Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) is a Residential Academic Institution located in the city of Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India. It was established in 1875 by Sir Syed Ahmed Khan and in 1920 it was granted a status of Central University by an Act of Indian Parliament. It is one of the premier central universities in India.
Aligarh is situated at a distance of 130 km, South-East of Delhi on Delhi-Kolkata Railway and Grand Trunk Road. Modelled on the University of Cambridge, it was among the first institutions of higher learning set up during the British Raj. Originally it was Mohammedan Anglo-Oriental College, which was founded by a great Muslim social reformer Sir Syed Ahmed Khan. Many prominent Muslim leaders, and Urdu writers and scholars of the subcontinent have graduated from the University.
Aligarh Muslim University offers more than 250 Courses in traditional and modern branch of Education. Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, a great social reformer of his age felt the need for modern education and started a school in 1875 which later became the Mohammedan Anglo Oriental College and finally Aligarh Muslim University in 1920. This is a premier Central University with several faculties and maintained institutions and draws students from all corners of the world, especially Africa, West Asia and South East Asia. In some courses, seats are reserved for students from SAARC and Commonwealth countries. The University is open to all irrespective of caste, creed, religion or gender. It is ranked 8th best (2009 ranking) of all research universities in India by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India.
The establishment of Mohammedan Anglo Oriental (MAO) College in 1875 marks one of the most important events in the educational and social history of modern India. Its establishment is considered as the first significant response of the Indian Muslims to the challenges of post -1857 era. It was an important catalyst in a process of social change among Muslims
In 1920, an Act of Indian Legislative Council elevated the M.A.O. College to the status of a Central University. Since that time AMU has grown into a major Indian university. It presently covers a very wide spectrum of academic disciplines, having 88 departments, 5 institutions, 13 centers
The University currently has about 28000 students on its rolls, most of whom stay in 16 halls of residences with 70 hostels. It employs about 1400 academic staff, and about 6000 non-teaching staff. On an average, about 500 foreign students come to study at AMU every year. The University has a campus spread over 467.6 hectares of land.
Establishment from foundation to University:
24 May 1875:
Inauguration of the School (Madarsatul Uloom) at Sami Manzil, Jail Road, Aligarh presided by Maulvi Mohd. Karim, President of the Managing Committee. Maulvi Samiullah’s son Mr. Hamidullah Khan admitted as the first student.
1 June 1875:
Boarding House started with seven students on the roll with a budget of Rs. 989/- per month. Managing Committee consisted of Maulvi Samiullah, Chiragh Ali, Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, Syed Mahmud, Raja Jaikishan Das, Nawab Ziauddin Khan and Maulvi Ahsan Nanotavi etc.
28 June 1875:
Mr. H.G.I. Siddons took over as Head Master of the School on a salary of Rs. 400/- per month. Mr. Baijnath Prasad was appointed as Second Master along with Maulvi Abul Hasan, Maulana Mohd. Akbar, Syed Jafer Ali, Maulvi Najaf Ali etc.
12 November 1875:
Sir William Muir, Lt. Governor of U.P. visited the institution. He was presented with an address of welcome on behalf of the School in which the scheme of the College was described in detail.
6 December 1875:
H.H. Mahindra Singh, the Maharaja of Patiala, accompanied by his Chief Minister Khalifa Muhammed Hasan, paid a visit to the School and announced a grant of Rs. 1,800/- per annum. He was appointed the first Visitor of the institution.
8 November 1877:
Syed Ahmed Khulusi Effendi, the Ambassador of Turkey visited the College.
8 January 1877:
Lord Lytton, the Viceroy and Governor General of India laid the foundation stone of the M.A.O. College. Raja Shambhu Narayan Singh, Raja Jai Kishan Das, Rao Kishan Kumar and others, were also present.
1 January 1878:
Intermediate classes started and the college affiliated to the Calcutta University for F.A. Examination.
12 January 1878:
Sir Richard Temple, Governor of Bombay paid a visit to the college.
10 December 1880:
Sir John Strachey, the Lt. Governor of U.P. paid a visit on the eve of his retirement from ICS.
1 January 1881:
Four students appeared in the B.A. Examination. Mr. Ishwari Prasad was the first student to pass the examination.
5 February 1883:
Sir Alfred Lyall, Lt. Governor of U.P. visited the College and declared open the newly constructed classrooms.
26 August 1884:
Students’ Union (Siddons Union Club) was inaugurated under the presidentship of Theodore Beck. Khwaja Sajjad Husain was declared Vice President and Syed Mohammed Ali Secretary of the Union.
Foundation Stone of the Victoria Gate was laid.
22 December 1886:
All India Mohammedan Educational Conference was inaugurated.
3 January 1887:
A deputation of the College Fund Committee called upon the Nizam of Hyderabad, Mr. Mehboob Ali Khan, to seek the permission to dedicate the College Museum to him.
16 November 1887:
The College was affiliated to Allahabad University. 1 January 1888 : Sir John Edge, the first Vice Chancellor of the Allahabad University visited the College on the occasion of the anniversary of the Siddons Union Club.
24 July 1888:
Sir Asman Jah Bahadur, Prime Minister of Hyderabad visited the College. 6 February 1889 : Sir Syed along with his friends staged a drama in Aligarh Exhibition to raise funds for the College. 21 December 1889:
Trustee Bill passed and Board of Trustees replaced the College Fund Committee. Sir Syed was elected life Honorary Secretary and Syed Mahmud life Joint Secretary. November 1890 : Duty Society was inaugurated at the initiative of Sahibzada Aftab Ahmad Khan.
Aligarh Magazine started its publication under the editorship of Maulana Shibli Nomani.
The brotherhood or ‘The Ikhwanussafa’ was set up. Its membership was open to the present and past AMU students and teachers. It was later on converted into Old Boys’ Association.
29 December 1891:
The Chief Justice of Allahabad Mr. Douglas Straight visited to inaugurate the Law Classes.
12 November 1894:
The Lt. Governor, Sir Charles Crosthwait, performed the opening ceremony of the Strachey Hall.
7 August 1895:
Sir Allen Cadell, Governor of U.P. visited the College and presided over the Annual Prize distribution function. (Sir) Ziauddin received the Strachey Gold Medal for securing Honours in Mathematics.
27 March 1898:
Sir Syed breathed his last at 10 P.M. His funeral prayer was performed in the Cricket ground on 28th March.
31 March 1898:
Efforts started to make the College a Muslim University by Sahabzada Aftab Ahmad Khan.
31 January 1899:
Mohsinul Mulk appointed Secretary of M.A.O. College and Syed Mahmud was granted Life Presidentship.
2 July 1901:
H. H. Siyaji Rao Gaikwad of Baroda visited the College.
10 August 1903:
A deputation headed by Mir Wilayat Husain was sent to Iran, on whose persuasion 12 students from the Royal family came to study at Aligarh.
7 March 1906:
Prince of Wales visited the College and Science Section was established. Sir Adamji Peer Bhoi of Bombay donated Rs. One Lakh ten thousand. H.H. Agha Khan and Raja Saheb of Mahmoodabad gave Rs. 36 thousand cash and a grant of Rs. 64,611 per annum to the College.
1 October 1906:
A delegation headed by Agha Khan called upon Lord Minto, the Viceroy and Governor General of India in Shimla to seek help in establishing a Muslim University.
16 January 1907:
His Majesty Habeebullah Khan, Shah of Afghanistan visited the College and announced a grant of Rs. 20,000.
10 February 1907:
Sheikh Mohammed Abdullah established Girls’ School, which in 1921 became a High School and was recognized as Undergraduate College in 1937.
Students’ strike against European Staff.
1 December 1907:
Nawab Viqarul Mulk was appointed Secretary of the College.
20 July 1908:
Government handed over General Peron’s residence, Sahib Bagh, built in 1803 to the College, which after some alteration became Sulaiman Hall.
13 November 1909:
Mir Imam Baksh of Talpur, ruler of Khairpur Sindh visited the College and donated a property of Rs 500 per month. So impressed was he by the high standard of the College that he decided to admit his son to this college.
15 December 1909:
Mr J. C. Gupta, Member of the Indian Council visited and was highly impressed by the secular character of the College.
1 January 1910:
Sir Pratap Singh Inder Mahendra Bahadur, Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir donated Rs 2,000 to the college during his visit.
18 March 1910:
Mr. Chirol, Foreign Editor of the London Times visited the College.
10 January 1911:
A Committee constituted to establish Muslim University with Sir Agha Khan as the President and Nawab Viqarul Mulk as Hony. Secretary. Nawab Muzammilullah Khan, Haji Mohd. Musa Khan, Shaikh Mohd. Abdullah and Mr. Shaukat Ali were appointed Joint Secretaries.
16 February 1911:
University Constitution Committee was formed and held its first meeting at Lucknow.
9 June 1912:
Sir Rameshwar Singh, Maharaja of Darbhanga, who was the President of B.H.U. Committee, visited the College.
21 July 1912: The Trustees accepted Nawab Viqarul Mulk’s resignation and unanimously elected Nawab Ishaq Khan as Secretary.
27 February 1914:
Begum Sultan Jahan of Bhopal laid the foundation stone of the Educational Conference Building which she declared open on 19.2.1916.
25 July 1914:
The main gate of the College was named as Victoria Gate. Feb 1915 : The Mosque was formally declared open.
6 January 1917:
Mrs. Sarojni Naidu delivered a lecture on ‘the glories of Islam and the Hindu-Muslim amity’ at Strachey Hall.
29 January 1918:
The Nizam of Hyderabad Mir Usman Ali Khan, visited the College and donated Rs one lakh for Arabic teaching and Rs five thousand for renovating rooms of the hostel named later as Osmania hostel.
25 October 1920:
|Mahatma Gandhi visited the College and was made the first Honorary Life Member of the Students’ Union.
29 October 1920:
Inauguration of Jamia Millia Islamia at University Mosque. Shaikh-ul-Hind Maulana Mahmoodul Hasan presided over the function.
1 December 1920:
Central Legislative Assembly passed Aligarh Muslim University Act (1920).
Inauguration of the Muslim University with 13 departments of studies. Her Highness Sultan Jahan Begum of Bhopal was appointed the first Chancellor, and Maharaja of Mahmoodabad took over as the first Vice Chancellor of the University.
26 March 1921:
First meeting of the A.M.U. Court and the Executive Council was held. Dr. Sir Ziauddin Ahmad and Sajjad Hyder Yaldarm were appointed PVC and Registrar respectively.
28 December 1922:
First Convocation of the University: 228 Science and Arts graduates were awarded degrees. Mian Sir Mohammed Shafi was conferred D.Lit. (Honoris Causa).
For more details...